With over 39 years in the field of wildland fire management, Dan brings a deep “above the situation” perspective on forest fire suppression and planning. Beginning as a firefighter and smokejumper, Dan soon became a hotshot crew supervisor. This solid foundation provided him the springboard to become a fire and aviation management officer for six national parks and regions.
Dan has two degrees: one in Wildlife Management and another in Education. He has also done graduate work in Forestry. His hands on experience also includes Incident Commander, Prescribed Fire Manager and Burn Boss on several large fires.
Qualified Experience (NPS, USFS, Interagency):
- Type II Incident Commander (10 years)
- Fire Use Manager (10+ years)
- Prescribed Fire Burn Boss (15 years)
- Chief of Fire and Aviation, Intermountain Region, National Park Service
- Chief of Fire and Aviation, Rocky Mountain Region, National Park Service
- Chief of Fire and Aviation, North Atlantic Region, National Park Service